Thursday 27 December 2012

Making the Poster in Photoshop 2

after i added in my book cover i wanted to add a small design that would concur with my cover but would differ and provoke a bit of interest since the purpose of the poster is displaying the redesigned cover and advertising the book. since chess pieces was a major concept i opted to continue this theme and decided that i would incoporate a broken knight ( to represent the main character detective Phillip Marlowe).
i had a few scribbles in my sketchbook that i used for inspiration, i drew out the basic shape in illustrator since i preferred the drawing tools to the ones in illustrator. after i had my shape i saved as an adobe pdf and reopened in photoshop. dragging the design into a central position on a new layer.
 
i used the poster edges filter on the knight to define my lines  and to blend my shading i also found that this filter incorporated a cartoony style which conicided with my cover. i briefly experimented with the ink filter but the red was lost  a key element which i thought was needed to match the red of the book cover.
on the left hand knight abover i've added this fractured glass texture ( something i experimented a lot within my sketchbook) again the picture was found from shutterstock on the internet. i placed this texture across the bottom half of my poster atop my knight and the bloodstain erasing round the areas in between, before experimenting with the blending mode. vivid light was my favourite since it brightened up the knight and made the blood look incredibly vivid.
after this was done i added a few extra lines of text ( my name, Raymond Chandler and a quote which i thought directly related to my design) and i did this in much the same way as the previous text.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment