Wednesday 15 May 2013

Making the Ibook- Using the Widgets

Placing all my elements together i started by using a simple layout since i knew my content was limited i knew that 2 pages per chapter was probably going to suffice, i placed each of my pre-made backgrounds after my main chapter patterns, i did have a few animations ready made, (butterflies flapping) and i initially wanted to place them as a background but i thought they looked too clunky so instead i kept my backgrounds clear and started by inputting my text, once my text was placed i then incorporated by images since my design revolves around them. 


i used image galleries on my monarch butterfly page and my Green darner but in order to illicit change i opted to place my hummingbird gallery in a scroll bar, i didn't think this was obvious enough though so i added a torn label up the top in order to draw attention to it. after which i framed the entire gallery with a segment of pattern with torn edges (the gallery didn't have an edge options) and it was the only way to soften the edges and make it work with my page. adding my illustrator made flowers at the bottom of the page also enabled me to introduce a pop over. 


i presented my text on boxes that i created in illustrator- i used two sets, one tan and one white (i used a specific art brush on the edges and thought that it would relate to and simultaneously contrast with the torn edges picture frames used on the i books author) and placed them behind my text which was written in my chosen typewriter font. i then edges the boxes with various squares and circles of 'stitched' pattern some of which used pop-overs.


this was the slide puzzle widget that i took from Bookry the image is its placeholder which is why ive labelled it to make sure that this was clear. once again a large section of pattern generates a base for the widget and breaks up the expanse of fill green background.

 i have two videos in my ibook and one audio both videos were presented with transparent fills and torn edges frames, each video has the option to become full screen and i particularly like the dot boarders to the title which frames the text without appearing too overwhelming.

the audio is a tiny circle with headphones, it barely takes up any space but in order to make the audio clear i opted to once again use a pattern to contain the element, the caption i placed next to it, jaunty angles to create the messy patchwork style.

i initially wanted to place my butterfly animation behind all of my elements but that proved too difficult since Ibooks author over rode the transparency settings on the mov file when dragged into the ibook, which gave my animation a black background that i didnt like. because of this i opted instead to place my animation on top of a patterned background and import it is so i became one of my many background patterned squares that lined the text and images.
 i mostly used the interactive image widget to incorporate some fun facts that i didnt think would read well within a paragraph, i only really used this widget once since i was trying to display a range of interactive elements.
i was a little worried that i had used the torn edges option too much but i think it works well visually so i plan to bring it up in crit and see if any of my peers have an opinion on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment