Wednesday 15 January 2014

Marc Ahr...


I really liked the Cath Kidston print below, I liked how crowded it was and I liked the watercolour incorporation of colour and the line/hand-drawn scenes on top- the use of a 4 shade colour scheme really cements it as a Cath Kidston print. I  plan on drawing visual style from this print. 

Because I liked the Style I did some research into artists that used a similar style in order to draw some inspiration. Although I am very conscious that I cannot deviate from the Kidston Style I also want to incorporate my own style within that in order to make it seem more original.


Marc Ahrs work really reminds me of the Postcard print- although the colours used mimic that of reality (green grass, blue skies, skin coloured people etc...) his work manipulates a fluid sense of colour and  neat outlines.  

I like the emphasis placed on shape through the use of careful outline and I really like how the crowd has been portrayed a sea of colour. The textural element of the brush strokes helps to frame the shapes but I think that texture should be kept to a minimum in my work because Kidstons work is very smooth.
The scene below is very smooth and neat. Bright colours dominate the bottom of the frame drawing the eye to the bottom of the piece before gradually softening as the eye is drawn upwards. I think that the faded line style is reminiscent of the postcard print and I definitely plan on manipulating the same hand drawn faded line styling within my own design.

No comments:

Post a Comment