Thursday 16 January 2014

Cath Kidston entries...

Before beginning to design my print I wanted to see if anyone else had come up with anything for the brief. After searching on Behance I found three Kidston print designs by various Illustrators.

The first really runs with a gardening theme- theres a sense of country side and the overall styling of the design has a very Kidston style. I like how each element has been placed on a softly patterned circle which makes it easier to create the 3 different colour schemes required from the brief. The colours have primarily been taken from the Garden Bird prints and whilst I like all the little details I'm not convinced on the shed which looks a bit pale and flat.  Testing out the design with the logo is a really good idea because it ensure a Kidston continuity something to consider with my designs.
The tents above have really been well shaded, the lack of outline and careful blocks of colour is very in keeping with Kidston's prints. Again changing the background colour makes it easy to produce three different colour schemes. The tent aspect revolves around the "festival" aspect in the brief and whilst I do love how its been drawn I think it may lack edge- a bright contrasting pink aspect that would really make it British.
Again the outdoors and tents have evidently been a popular theme which is further evidenced by the tent/campfire/ festival theme in the design above. I think the repeat of the pattern should be more random but other than that I think there is a lot going on which is needed to create an engaging conversational piece.

So far really interesting to see the themes that other people are going for and Im happy that I havent found a Pride & Prejudice inspired one yet! Having said that I have got a better idea of using shade now thanks to the designs above although I am thinking about employing a line drawn element like those in the London and Guards of London Kidston print.

No comments:

Post a Comment