Wednesday 15 January 2014

Themes Further Research ....

I  decided to further my conceptual research by looking into one of the themes that I have come up with so far. Since London landmarks have already been done - I opted to look into landmarks more affiliated with British landmarks.

 Stonehenge was one of the main landmarks that instantly came to mind, its iconic and the shapes are simplistic so they would be easy to draw and recreate in Illustrator. Since much of Kidston's work is shade based I could make the stones look really dramatic by using bold darker shades.  It would also work well as a self contained design due to the circular nature of the landmark itself.
 The white cliffs of Dover was another main landmark that came up when I researched the term British Landmarks. The cliffs would allow me to incorporate a seascape element but I'm not convinced on the originality of the design- Kidston has a lot of sea based prints and Im not sure if it would work well as a self contained pattern that repeats throughout.
Since I live in the South East The Long Man of Wilmington is a well known landmark, its self contained once again so it would work as a repeat and it would work well with Stonehenge the only issue that I can foresee is that its a line drawing and wouldn't require any of the Kidston shading.

 The white horse much like the Long Man of Wilmington is a chalk outline in the hills, I actually prefer the shape of the horse to the Long man its a lot thicker so its bolder and more fluid.

 Landend is another landmark investigated- I love the sign and think that it could work well as an element within a repeating tile, having said that the text element could be considered to busy on a print- it would also allow me to integrate a coastal element that wouldn't replicate the seascape prints already in the Kidston line.

Overall I think the landmark option is a viable idea/concept path but having said this I dont think it instantly screams 29 year woman which is the target audience so I plan to research a few of my other concepts before fully deciding. I also think that landmarks (although they are London landmarks) have been done so I'd worry about the originality of producing a landmark based print.

No comments:

Post a Comment