Thursday 16 January 2014

Marian Mahler...

I continued to look into the 50's to see if I could come across prints that were reminiscent of Kidstons. I found Marian Mahler an Australian 50's designer whose work reminded me a bit more of Kidstons than the previously researched Moores.

The print above in particular reminds me a lot of Kidstons patterns, each repeat is self contained (which helps to tell more of a story) and there is a rougher hand-drawn element that is evident within Kidstons patterns.  I really like the printed textural element and there is a very British theme to the various elements, castles, hunting and countryside.  As each design is black and white its easy to employ different background colour schemes because they always match and integrate well together.  



I like how the lines overlap all of the colours in the background in the print above. The overall design is bright, bold and geometric. This isn't particularly Kidston(esc) but there is a great emphasis on line which is evident within  Kidston's work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment