Monday 21 April 2014

Alice Pattullo - Branding Inspiration...


Alice Pattullo is one of my favourite artists, I found a few of her exhibition posters and I really loved what she'd done with them to make them interesting. Since she makes her prints via screen printing I am not surprised that a lot of her designs are in black and white (its easier to do only two shades with one dark colour than it is to layer up lots of colours). 


The two posters above are particular favourites- I really love the cluster of objects in the London Thames print. I think doing something similar is definitely an avenue to consider- possibly using digital objects to create a crowded scene. I like the use of black and white and having a lot of objects since its more interesting to look at- the black and white also help to keep the design bold although I would like to include accents of colour to add a bright edge. Im not sure if I'd need a thick block shape running through the design either-  since the block river above helps to divide the poster in two and provide some directionality.
I really like the shaded of green in the square poster above- and the squares. Again the poster is crowded with various objects but there is a sense of order introduced via the squares which I think is a definite consideration. The shades of green are incredibly complimentary all of which are bright and contrasted only with speckled texture and dark brown.

The poster above is one I have included to display how type looks within a poster and how it can be made interesting a fun. Bold colours and thick fonts make up the poster but it is the introduction of elegant swirls and layered shapes that helps to make the poster look more detailed and interesting. I also lik the little dainty label at the bottom which integrate the hand drawn touch and how the entire poster has been filled with ensures visuality,
This is perhaps my favourite Pattullo print- I love the jaunty shapes of the shells which dominate the print- they are lovely hand drawn and carefully accent the shape of the building. The building is made softer by texture and I like how you can see the bricks. The Pink turquoise and brown make for a constrasting colour scheme but it works well together particularly the pink accents which lighten the turquoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment