Sunday 9 February 2014

Design Style and the Inspirational Cath Kidston Prints...

 I realised before crit that my design style may come into question because it is not  in Kidstons traditional style but it is based of Kidstons lesser known prints. The washed/watercolour background and shading is something that I have taken from the postcard and stamp prints below. The postcard print in particular is where I draw a lot of my visual style from, water coloured/translucent shades combined with a more detailed and intricate black outline atop that helps to define the shapes.

 I really liked Kidston's stamp pattern- again there is an intricacy to the mini designs and a water-coloured faded background colour which are all elements that I have tried to produce within my own design.
 The shading itself within the Kidston Postcard print has gaps of white which I've also tried to mimic within my own design to give it a more fluid feel. The tones sometimes pass over the outline which is evident within the flowers and another aspect I have also tried to include.  

In my initial research I stated that I was going to avoid the Guards design style but I have quickly discovered that I have indeed manipulated a similar black outline that this print uses- although I think its the only design element I have taken from the print.



No comments:

Post a Comment