Monday 24 February 2014

Research Continued... Brighton/Mods/Rockers...

Since Brighton is a key element I decided to research images and pieces of art that depicted Brighton and the key elements within it.

I found this Brighton drawn above- the line drawn is very detailed and I love the typography element thats evident within the poster. It is essentially a line drawing but the use of bold black fills help to break up the mass of detail and provide a sense of shade.  I like the incorporation of the wheel which has since become a somewhat well known piece of Brighton.

Mod's and Rockers are an iconic element of Brighton history and my brief specifically references this element. The poster above is a part of the mod/rockers series the blue poster previously researched was a part of this series. I love the red elements which really help to warm the image. The black and white elements are very striking, and I like how the text element is an extension of the overall theme. The man reminds me a lot of Danny from Grease and I love the sense of seduction and swagger thats conveyed through character posing.
The drawing above of is off the beach huts along the seafront- the line style combined with the use of block colour gives the whole image a cut out feel.  The block colours contrast against the thinner outlines - something to consider within my own design...


I really liked the cutout theme in the last image so I thought I'd look into it a little more and found this paper cut out image above which I think has a lot of design potential. The shadows could be replicated in Photoshop or Illustrator and I love the smooth simplicity of the characters- the shapes used are simple but the separation of the elements and the shadow element helps to create the impression of layers. Since I've been asked to create a smooth sleek style (a style out of comfort zone) I think that using this cutout idea will help me to create something sleek as well as allowing for the introduction of some much needed quirkiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment