Tuesday 25 February 2014

Peggy Wolf - Visual Style

The yellow image with the dark haired woman found on Pinterest and a source of inspiration was created by artist Peggy Wolf. I wanted to investigate her other pieces to see if they would give me any more inspiration, since I found the one image incredibly bold, retro and useful in my own designs. 

 Most of her work features beautiful females with a stylistic and wonderfully weird edge. bold smears of colour create the featured blushes. I also really like the delicate lines incorporated within eyebrows, hair and eyelashes since they break up the bold fills and strokes. Wolf generates her work by using a mixture of illustration and digital collage. I love the lips in the piece above and the carefully integration of very dark shadows onto an pale face.


Im not sure if I actually like the pink background lady above but I definitely find the work striking. There is a great sense of colour that form a variety of shapes- and though it doesn't strike me as 60's as the first piece I looked at did this one does have a sense of retro weirdness about it. I actually like how the disproportionate aspects create such a striking character. The eyes in particular draw the main focus. I also like how despite the weirdness and the very non realistic characterisation of the woman there is still a sense of real life tone which gives it depth.

Although I will be creating an animation I would very much like to take elements out of Wolf's style and put it within my own designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment