Tuesday 25 February 2014

Retro Opening Titles...

I wanted to try and find opening titles that were animated to see if there were any tricks that I could utilise. However I actually found it really hard to find any that were animated and made up of illustrations. I did however find the opening title sequence for a programme made in the 60's (I was going for a 60's retro style and it was interesting to see the visuals to programmes that were actually made in that era). The stop motion photography element to these titles looks fun and matches the feel good happy music background,  the manipulation of shape and cut out elements gives it a simplistic air and though there are moments of pacing that are clunky and slow there is a nice sense of fluidity to the cut out pieces that pop onto screen in sync to the musical beat.




The video below is the opening title sequence to 'party classics' it has a great retro styling and I really like the range of movement, the smooth transitions made by expanding background fill shapes is fluid and keeps the pace up which keeps the animation interesting. The I really like the music change during the piano scene and the swinging disco ball that allows for the introduction of the record. Shapes are a major part of the illustration, aspects and transitions and it is something to consider within my own work since the shapes ensure the overall continuity and are reminiscent of the era.


No comments:

Post a Comment