Monday 24 February 2014

Cutout Paper Animation Research...

I liked the cutout style found in some posters already researched so I decided to see if I could find animations that referenced this style so I could see if there were any cool transitions that would work with this project. The transitions in the Starbucks advert are smooth but are simple enough for me to recreate. Theres a sense of panning which could possibly be replicated and that provides the link between each scene. The tree grows upwards from the girls ears and allows for the movement into the new scene with the guy on the street. The overall style has a 50s cartoon element and the cutout characters are bold and theres slight jaunty movement to the hair and hats which helps to create a more fluid sense of movement. The jauntiness gives it a jolly feel which further matches the cutout aspects.
 



The video above is a character-song animation. I like the movement of the hands which have puppet joints that separate them from the rest of the arm giving it a quirky feel that is further emphasised by the cutout paper character. The timing is obviously spot on because it has to match the music but its got a great fun feel.


I actually love the variety of shots within the video above- the spinning globe helps to convey a sense of perpetual movement whilst additional close ups break up the spinning and fully convey a great sense of Britishness. The birds flight matches the music which is particularly evident within the spinning world moment. The ending is also lovely in its sense of continuity as the bird flies within the screen and completes the animation. The style is something that appeals to me but obviously wouldn't work for Latest. I would love to try and introduce a spinning element within my own title sequence since I think that it would work well in helping to provide a sense of place and movement without being a continuous linear journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment