Monday 24 February 2014

Opening Credits Initial Research...

Opening Credits 
Since Latest Tv Brighton Lights didn't have any opening credits to draw inspiration from I began looking into others. The one show is the first that came to mind because I feel that Brighton Lights is the Brighton version of the one show. Brighton Lights is going to air at a similar time as well as cover similar topics as the one show.



I was however a little disappointed with the One show opening title sequence, its entirely text based which although practical (it keeps it generic, simple and bold, the lack of characters/ presenters also means that if the presenters were to change it wouldnt affect the sequence. It has a clear BBC branding and even begins by manipulating red and white Latest Tv's colour scheme) lacks personality. Theres no draw set up by the words - BBC is a large enough station not to need to really entice - but I think that there could have been more character rather than the same repeated words that merge slightly. The opening credits are fairly dynamic though which keeps them fluid and sweeps of motion help to change perspective which is also highlighted by the changing background colours.





The have I got news for you credits are some of my favourites, theres a great deal of humour in them and the animation style is something that I am going to have to recreate for my opening titles. The opening titles are dynamic, theres a lot of pacing and directionality included. The overall style is very hand-drawn (although it looks dated) and I like how the big ben clock falls down and becomes a train. The effects and graphics are simple but I think it works and is coherent because of the humour and the brass music used. The incorporation of the hosts have a comical/caricature feel which is something I should consider within my own work since its going to have a lot of characters within in. Having said this I have got to be careful because I dont want to be animating boring mundane tasks (like the high five idea- I'm still not convinced on that one).














The Kirstie's handmade Britain programme produced stings rather than opening credits that appeared before and after each advert break. They consisted of still photographs with a moving element which gave it a vintage feel (there are also a few stop motion elements within the programme so i'm not sure if the stings have been stop motioned). In the frame below- the foreground element the chicken is he object thats moving which directs the eye to the text. I love the framing, the whole style has an old photograph vintage feel that matches the show.



The top gear opening utilises both film and animated elements, I like the silhouetted aspects which offset the split screen elements in the background and give it a fun feel that embodies the show. The transitions are smooth and the black silhouettes contrast against the bright filmed elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment