Monday 3 February 2014

Making the Mr Darcy Miss Bennet Stamp...

The next part of the design that I wanted to create were the Miss Bennet/Mr Darcy stamps. The stamps were actually inspired by the Victorian silhouette photographs but I wanted to give them a Kidston flair. 
I began by drawing out the basic him and her outlines, the sideburns were crucial to Mr Darcy's character, as was the empire line Miss Bennet dress. I briefly considered drawing a bonnet on Miss Bennet to really drive in the 1800 theme but reconsidered because I didn't think the shape was feminine enough and I thought that since Mr Darcy has a top hat it would contrast better.
Tried to keep the shading basic, altering the opacity to generate a soft movement of tone without adding another colour to my 12 shade limit. Included a hint of pink on the cravat, need to introduce a point of colour on the Elizabeth stamp.

I felt like my design looked a little too bland with just the stamps so I opted to include some background letters that framed the stamps, I gave them a wishy washy shade to ensure overall continuity again introducing points of colour to match that on the stamps.
This is my finished stamp design, I opted to add extra lines of colour to finish of the stamps- like thiose that I've seen on stamps that I have researched from the period. Also added little elements of writing onto the letters- Cath Kidston's name, Mr Darcy and Lizzie! I know it wont be seen but I thought it was a more personalised touch. Really really happy with it so far, enjoyed making the stamps more than my previous elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment