Thursday 14 November 2013

Brothers Brand...

History
Brothers have been making cider since 1658.
In 1842 Brothers opened their first pub named The Kings Arms in Shepton Mallet.
During the Second World War the supply of cider was in great demand and they continued to produce cider throughout.
In the late 1940's Brothers came up with a drink called Babycham (sparkling perry) 
In 1995 at the Glastonbury festival the Showering brothers sold what is now well known Pear Festival Cider. 

Brothers comes in a variety of flavours: Toffee Apple, Strawberry, Wild fruits, Pear Festival, Pear, Apple and Cloudy Lemon. 

The Brothers website has a cider locater of its own show above, as well as a flavour mixer (below). Because  they already seem to have their own locater I think I'm definitely going to rule out using this for an app- that and personally I think locaters are only useful if your looking for a more obscure brand something I don't think my cider falls into.


This is one of their poster advertisements which I looked at to really get a feel for the brand, the font is bold seriffed and capped, it fills the frame contrasts against the blue of the background and instantly gets the message across. The labelling and the advert itself is one of the older brands since it lacks the swirly carnival concoction of fonts that Ive noticed in the new branding labels which I much prefer.
Despite this the phrasing of the slogan coupled with this simple bold font does grab the attention does imply that it is being aimed at a younger audience. 


Brothers is also clearly linked to Glastonbury, the festival is even mentioned in the add above. I also prefer the long fluid lines in the aforementioned poster it gives the rigid block font a sense of rebelliousness that clearly relates to Glastonbury. The landscape format works better in the poster since it allows the words to breathe within the advertisement and again the blue and yellow colour scheme really helps to elucidate their brand. There is a sense that Brothers is for free spirits which I would definitely like to include within my own design.
Both of the posters are incredibly text heavy something that I guess allows them to maintain a broader audience since people, places and objects have been avoided.

Now I've gotten to know the brand a bit better I certainly plan to include the festival element since its apparent that festivals is a part of its market. I also think that using this festival element may also allow me to incorporate a sense of era - my initial thoughts regarding Glastonbury is a hippie free spirit allotment of people and when I think of hippy's all I can think of is the 70's. I'm hoping that I can include this 70's element since I think it would allow me to experiment with a broader colour scheme and a more interesting visual style that doesn't revolve around type like the advertisements above.

No comments:

Post a Comment