Tuesday 19 November 2013

Cider Advertising Posters...

I wanted to look into how different ciders had been advertised as well, I've already looked at the Brothers poster advertisements, so I decided to look into different posters that other ciders had created to advertise their ciders.
This Bulmers advertisement is from1953 and I mostly looked at because I wanted to see how heritage could be included within the advertising. The poster lacks colour and and has a hand-drawn real life drawing element to it which I guess is because of the era. Theres a strong text element as well and although I wouldn't say the slogan or the imagery is particularly catchy at all its informative all the same. It contrasts a great deal with the new Bulmers poster below which is super bright and fun. I love the humour thats been introduced through the parachutes which makes the cider seem more fun because of it. Once again its clear that Bulmers has been aimed at a younger audience because of its vibrancy but its really effective because of it. The natural colour schemes helps to establish he more natural quality of the drink and even though the parachutes are what drew me into the poster the larger than life bottle really cements Bulmers branding and becomes the main focal point of the poster. The text is also really effective and I like how swirly and bold fonts have been blended together to create the overall style although I much prefer the swirly font to the block caps of the limited addition. Theres also a sense of pattern highlighted in the grass something that I plan on using within my own app and promo and I like how realism has been introduced into this fantastical scene through the use of light and shade.

http://www.thedrum.com/uploads/news/old/13871/master.Bulmers_SBMaster6ShtAW_FINAL.jpg

The Merrydown cider poster is very simple, it manipulates contrast through the green and red colour scheme, the background is a simple gradient which offsets the slightly darker tone of the bottle and matches the yellow gold of the front label. The large cap type is eye-catching and easily read and what would have been too clunky as been given a delicacy through the crackled stamp effect. Having said this I feel the poster would be boring without the chunk of apple thats been torn out of the bottle which gives it a sense of humour. I like how this has been used to convey the flavour and its been seamlessly generated. Once again as shadow has been introduced and the realism of the bottle grounds the poster within reality.
http://grocerytrader.co.uk/?p=3002


The Strongbow cider advert above is  by far the darkest advertisement that I've looked at which gives the advert a very dramatic feel. A sense of fantastical has been introduced through the thorny vines which obviously relates  to the flavour "dark fruit" and although the brand is central within frame and light enough to ensure that its the main focal point the denseness of the background really helps to introduce contrasting texture. The only light points are the Strongbow text and the 'Earn it' slogan which are made more apparent through the use of lighter colour. Despite this text isn't the main element and I like the importance of the background photograph it helps to almost give the drink its own personality that still concurs with the brand.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhyW5vJTfERlfby0kxvY9FzRs9qD8HwSOkdHraKSZXy8LLAQjfTWIBt_Mhl-Sm2RA83h_aV3n7DnZaUUjBBiuW1aF1BVA6HelE8EmMatGRDmALGXHeEpaxzUR7MaXaSeD3wzoTjX7vJFjE/s320/Screen+shot+2013-08-22+at+12.42.39.png


I liked the movement evident within these posters, once again the dark background is dramatic but the plainness of it mostly helps to off set the movement which as been captured. I really really like this use of high speed photography because I think it makes beautiful shapes with the juice. The arrow simultaneously visually represents the Strongbow logo which really elucidates the branding in a more clever way than just the logo itself. The golden apple in the top has a more fantastical element to it due to the bright colour and the liquid gold drops but I really like how the text has been placed centrally and within the image rather than just at the side like in the poster below.

http://www.wearebulletproof.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STRONGBOW-GOLD_04.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment