Wednesday 20 November 2013

Roy Lichtenstein

Roy Lichtenstein also created pop art although I think is styling may be more translatable to my app design particularly since he has a body of work featuring fruits an essential element within my ideas.



I was surprised to find that U2 had used a Roy Lichtenstein painting and animated it for one of their shows, I love how it matches the beat of the music and it matches perfectly to the tone of the song which has a distinctive bass that dictates the overall pacing of the animation. Its fast paced fun and I really love the style which is consists of simple block colours, bold outlines and the occasional polka dot section. Which has been used to transition from once scene to the next. I really like the explosion section which allows the colours to dominate the frame.


 I generally tried to look into more of his work that featured fruit so I could get more of an idea to style my game although it was by happy coincidence that the two prints above use the same colour scheme as the Brothers brand. I think that simplicity is the key, so I plan on using flat shapes in general which are only going to be punctuated by small elements of detailing - like the use of dots or lines. Mostly I just love the geometric styling thats evident and I really want to explore that angle.


 The above print is probably one of my favourites I just really like the boldness of it - it reminds me a lot of the bauhaus movement just through its use of bold black outlines and segments of solid colour. I think I'd like to make my apples have that element, half dotted half solid.

http://www.phillips.com/detail/ROY-LICHTENSTEIN/NY010110/137?fromSearch=lichtenstein&searchPage=1



No comments:

Post a Comment