Monday 21 October 2013

Alfred Wallis- Visual Style Artist

Although I have a very clear visual style in mind, one that is heavily influenced by Felicita Sala, after my pitch it was suggested that I look into Alfred Wallis. I actually really liked the style of drawing, although I  think that Wallis' visuality has already been translated into my work, through the use of black outline and rough brush strokes. Despite this I really love the textuality to much of Wallis' work and I definately want to incorporate this textuality to provide some sort of seperation between background and foreground.
 Whilst the painting's themselves were created in the 1900's this concept of flat/ 3d is actually an aspect which looks surprisingly modern fully highlighted in the painting above. I really like how the expanse of textural blue is broken up by the introduction of fine details, details that look almost cartoony and printed to my mind. Shape is obviously a key aspect within his work and this is merged well with texture to generate a more interesting scene.  The colours are beautiful and I think I'm planning on using a similar colour palette, I'm going to stick to dark tones, of blue brown and beige and then periodically highlight these aspects with brighter blues browns and oranges. The sea is what draws my eye in the painting above and there is a great deal of blending to the colours which helps to generate a very vivid patch of water which is only broken through contrastingly black and yellow segments.


The painting above is my favourite out of the Wallis work that I have researched, I actually really like how dark it is and there is a great deal of contrast generated through the use of colour. Again these colours are going to be evident within my own colour palette. The background is incredibly textural and it really frames the main boat in the centre which is comparatively smoother and brighter in appearance. Theres a dusky element that I really like and one that I plan on incorporating though various brushes in Illustrator.

The painting above is perhaps too childlike to my taste, the shapes seem to simple the colours unlike in his other works too flat and the texture is somewhat lacking. However I do appreciate the contrast generated through the black outline which is why my visual style will incorporate this outline.

No comments:

Post a Comment