Friday 4 October 2013

The Principles of Animation

Principles of Animation

I managed to find 12 principles of animation online but I've opted to limit them to the simplest and the ones I think are more pertinent to the animation project brief.

Squash and stretch- Exaggeration, the illusion of weight which can be applied to both body parts and expression which is highlighted in the example below- when designing my own animation, exaggerating the expressions will best convey point and emotion. At the moment I plan on avoiding people- since its my first time with After Effects I want to maintain simplicity and I think moving between different expressions could be fiddly and complex.


Exaggeration- Of emotion, faces, tone, violence to really clarify plot, point or even personality.
Staging/presentation- Posing, positions and the proportions of characters and setting. 

Timing- Establishes mood and emotion, the more frames the smoother it is,

Arcs- All actions follow a path, gravity is a force within the animation world that can be highlighted through the use of arcs.  Shapes on a set path curve in a way that introduces a sense of realism.



Solid drawing- reproduction of life which also generates a realism.

For me I hand drawing my animation is very appealing since I would consider myself a good drawer, a style to strongly consider when contemplating the overall style of my animation.

Appeal- Humour or charisma which can be used to generate something or someone more likeable. Another important aspect to consider- don't alienate the audience something that could very easily be done in regards to the global warming subject matter.


Follow through and overlapping action

"Follow through" means that separate parts of a body will continue moving after the character has stopped. 


"Overlapping action" is the tendency for parts of the body to move at different rates (an arm will move on different timing of the head and so on). 


This also relates to the comedy and humorous aspect mentioned earlier since it conveys a playful ridiculousness. 

Secondary action- To incorporate secondary actions to make the world feel more organic and real, so whilst the main plot point are the expression and the words the secondary action could be background body movement which really helps to establish the world and the worlds particular set of rules.




Looking at these principles has really given me and idea or what to put within an animation, although a lot of these are related to characters and people which I initially don't plan on using, in order to create a more effective animation I do need to place it within a world where these principles can be applied, I'm toying with the solid drawing principle and I'm going to try and include smooth movement, arcs and fluid transitions to generate a more real world in which my animation will be based.





No comments:

Post a Comment