Sunday 6 October 2013

Visually Translating Co2 emissions...

I decided to look into existing posters that displayed climate change awareness because I wanted to see what concepts were out there. Although the brief is an animation brief- looking at these posters really helped to clarify how some of these big issues could be translated visually.

Existing Global Warming/ Climate Change Posters

The poster above really emphasises how perspective can be used and I really like how humans have been established as the primary cause for global warming through the man at the bottom. The saturated colours in the background particularly the yellow alludes to sickness and warmth further stipulating the concept of destruction. The smoke has a certain amount of fluidity which contradicts the stillness of the man at the bottom of the frame. The poster itself is very striking, theres a gravity to its meaning but I think that the poster itself focuses on us as the cause rather than how to stop. In regards to our project I have to make sure that I include a sense of hope, theres still time to take action. Having said this seeing how this big issue of global warming has been represented, in this instance pollution and our Co2 emissions has really helped to clarify how certain aspects can be translated visually, even if they've been translated in a very serious, these are the consequences kind of way.

The poster above has a little bit more hope in its message- as it at least references the fact that the future can be changed which is indicated by the type on the wall and the smaller phrase "act now before its too late". I actually really like the scale of this image, the one room and the one person makes it feel more accessible, its not addressing a generic audience its singling out how we as individuals can force a change. There is a certain amount of distortion to the photograph which matches the theme, rising sea levels will mean that we will all be living underwater and although the blue hue of the poster represents the water, the colour is strangely warm and helps to generate depth.  I do think that there are too many textures within the poster and that the city scape on the walls should have really been emphasised, maybe with a shaft of light, to really clarify the scale of what needs to be changed.



Out of all of the posters researched this is one of my favourites, I really like how the hourglass simultaneously contains these two worlds, introduces a very striking shape to offset the 2 elements and signifies the importance of time, further defining this idea that we need to take action to prevent global warming now. The use of colour has been used very artfully to generate two distinctive elements. However I would associate the vibrant green of the world at the bottom with going green and being eco- friendly which as obviously been disregarded here. Although the same shade of blue has once again been referenced and I would definitely consider using this shade within my animation. I feel that green has been overused and I prefer the tonal freshness of the blue hue as well as the fact that it can be related to good points as well as bad, since doesn't, like green, come with any connotations. Once again perspective has been highlighted through the two levels another aspect to consider, and there is a sense of movement indicated by the water. 


The melting polar bear is a very bold photograph and is one that instantly provokes sympathy, unlike the others it uses another species besides humans that is directly affected by global warming which I think instigates more of an emotional response. It displays something effected outside of ourselves. The melting graphic is very smooth and fluid and I am considering using this fluid and melting motion to transition between some of my concepts within my animation. The black and white theme is very simple (although it's obviously dictated by the polar bears fur and feet) and is another element I may use, a simple two tone colour scheme, which will also help to highlight shape and the pivotal component: movement.

http://favbulous.com/post/2948/38-creative-global-warming-awareness-posters



The hamster stickers above are something that I find incredibly fun and humorous, which is incidentally a key aspect that is referenced within the animation principles. The stickers were created to represent the hamster pedal to offer power by HU2 design. I really love the amount of fun they incorporate as well as the simple style of the designs. I'd actually really like to include something along these lines within my animation, hamster power and then some kind of kinetic text suggesting that there are alternative ways to reduce our carbon footprint, which could work very well as an opening. I certainly think a fun tone has to be integrated in order to maintain a more optimistic view of the future a concept stated within the brief. Without this humour and exaggeration I feel that the tone of my animation could become too serious and almost make an audience feel obsolete in preventing and reducing Co2 emissions.

http://www.journalgraphic.com/2009/12/04/des-stickers-pour-decorer-vos-prises-murales-et-bien-plus/

Overall the posters have really helped to clarify designs and what designs are out there, although they aren't animations  they still successfully translate some of the issues that I will be looking into visually so I found this exercise useful in seeing how this was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment