Sunday 13 October 2013

Visual Style considerations

I generally preferred the more arty and hand-drawn styles of animation because they felt more organic. As well as this since I consider drawing a strength it would make more sense for me to incorporate a style into my animation that plays to this strength. Having said this during my research I  found a great many of animations that generated various hand-drawn effects very differently.   


I really liked the paint like style employed in this animation, its very abstract, very bold and has a great  hand drawn organic feel to it. I think its the roughness that I really like the most and its textures which integrates a playful element that concurs with the hand-drawn style. Theres a mix of paint, pencil and textures and most of the various strokes/shapes move in simple ways with the music up down, and backwards in general although there is a sense of zooming which integrates depth. Fast cuts match the beat of the music and the images are in their own loops which keeps the images continues much like the music. Both colour and Black and white have been used which helps to emphasise the instrumental chorus section. There are no discernible characters but from what I can tell the animation relies on its fluidity.




Scott free productions logo
Scott Free productions manipulates similar paint strokes to generate its logo and again I really like the roughness of it, a roughness that I plan on incorporating into my own work, the colours are deep and placed onto the background in simple block which contrasted against the white of the character. The movement is fluid and each stroke morphs into another aspect which is helped by the roughness of style. I like how even the still parts look like they are moving because the lines move in each frame by a few milametres which makes it look like its in constant movement. I also really like the jaunty type which is something I certainly plan on including in my own project.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFIXvz9XtE



This sumo animation was very humorous to watch and I really like the pencil style to it its basic striking and integrates the type well into frame. Each movement of the wrestler has been carefully planned and the storyline is understandable and funny. I do really like this style but I want to include some colour into my animation to highlight certain aspects. I also think that if I were to do this pencil line style my drawings would have to be very clean and sharp which would take away from the textural aspect I want to include.


https://vimeo.com/22835484


Although I looked into the Paper Planes style as a part of my initial research, I found a few other colour pencil paper examples that I found very striking. Despite this my favourite animation was the Paper Planes one and I am enamoured with its quirky playful style and I really want to replicate this in my own work- although of course mine will include my own artistic style to it. Using crumpled paper as a background allows solid colours to be integrated without the focus being pulled away from the main elements. I also wanted to include little shadows around my characters to really give it a raised feel much like the video. I can give the animation more of a textural aspect through brushes in illustrator and through my text. I plan on using soft colours for the backgrounds set outside and very dark ones for those inside to really provoke contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment